Sunday, September 9, 2007
Most Effective Acting Moment from Week
Thinking back on the week, the one performance that still stands out vividly in my mind is Sarah’s solo performance on the first day of class. I can still see her coming through the door and taking her place on the stage, using mainly her facial expressions to convey the meaning of her piece. Turning, with her back to the audience, she would look over her shoulder in one direction with a flirty sort of enamored look, while over the other shoulder, she gave a look of anger and disgust. Not evening needing words in the slightest, she managed to use her eyes to say everything. It was as if, in one direction, she saw someone she admired and couldn’t get enough of, while in the other direction was someone she hated, someone who distracted her from her love. The way she could switch from one emotion to the other so quickly and convincingly was also amazing. But what still stands out to me the most is her impeccable eye contact with the audience. Being on the side of the room she looked at lovingly, I almost felt as if she was looking directly at me the whole time. It drew me in, as well as made things slightly awkward. It was one of those things where you don’t want to take your eyes away, but you also feel uneasy because you’re not sure if the intense eye contact was purposely directed at you. But I believe that is one true indication of her talent because she managed to engage the audience so well, I almost felt I was part of the performance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ok, I hope I am posting in the right area... I really enjoyed observing how talented everyone in the class is. I wasn't sure what to expect from the class, and I had wondered if most people were going to be experienced or not. I don't have experience with any professional acting, and was so impressed by how focused and, for lack of a better word, "good" you all are. None of the acting seemed cheesy--it was cool to see how people I had just met instantly accomplished full transitions into various characters. I loved Stacey's character, the hunching of the shoulders in the beginning, and the turn-around towards the end. I thought her body language conveyed everything perfectly, and it was really funny. :)
Post a Comment