Saturday, September 15, 2007

Personal Acting Gift and Gauntlet

So, I’m supposed to pick out an acting gift of mine, yes?

Well, I’ve never, ever acted before this class… unless you count my brilliant performance as Goldilocks in kindergarten. However, the first few classes have helped to realize that, if anything, my initial strength would lie in my gestures. Between slamming that door really hard (to the point where I even scared myself!) and Allison’s compliments on the way I used body language during the duet, I feel maybe that’s where I am gifted, acting-wise. During the few times I’ve acted in class, I feel like I can convey so much more with my actions and behavior than I can by simply memorizing lines, which is probably why I enjoyed the solo performances best, because it was generally left up to interpretation.

As for throwing something in the gauntlet, I’m at a loss. I’d like to say the possibility that I have a more comedic side that I just haven’t had a chance to show yet, but I’m not completely sure it really even exists. I’ve gotten laughs in the past, not so much for things I’ve said, but because of how I say them and the facial gestures I make when I say things. Of course, that is real –life, though. But maybe I can integrate this comedic side into my acting, if given the chance.

No comments: