Monday, November 19, 2007

365 Self Reflection

1. The most significant lesson I have learned from the 365 project would have to be that I still need work on completely embodying the character externally. I'm sure the cold weather played a factor, but I would be lying to myself I said that was the only restraint. I think that having one of my first true acting experiences be such a public performance definitely set a high challenge for myself, but I think it has had a long-lasting effect on my approach to acting in the future. Though I may not have performed as well as I had hoped, I think the result after the fact has increased my range as an actor.

2. I think I can deepen this lesson for my final project by looking more at the actual character I am portraying than just the lines and my relationship with the other character(s). I think line memorization should take a more minor role on my mind than in previous performances, so that I can better focus on embpdying the character through my performance and not just internally.

3. I believe my most effective acting moment in 365 was my stillness after my sin collection in Sin Collector. Though it was probably one of the more unnoticed moments in all of the performances, it was the one time where I truly felt emotions and was able to convey them. My stillness underneath the tree in the dark played off of architecture, shape, tempo and my spatial relationship with the two main characters of the play.

4. I think I tend to lose my focus from the character I am portraying and instead overly assert my focus externally to lines and blocking, creating my usually stoic posture and facial expression during performances. I think with the amount of focus I have at my disposal, I can really use it internally to stimulate more emotion in my acting.

5. My greatest weakness still remains to convey externally what I am feeling internally. I truly feel what I believe the character would be feeling, but I am not able to clue the audience in just yet. If I could go back to rehersal, I think I would do well to take myself out of the character that I am studying.

No comments: