Sunday, November 11, 2007

Peer Reflection.

1.Which play performance impacted you the most? How did it impact you and why?
Jayson and Kira’s first constant impacted me most. With their combined emotion, plus the well-chosen site, one could feel the bleakness of their situation just by looking at them. They didn’t even really need words. The whole entire play just made me sad in the way they interpreted it, which is probably why it was so good. Between facial expressions and using the crumpled up newspapers as props, I actually felt like I was watching two homeless people trying to keep warm and sleep in the only way they knew how.

2. Whose performance impacted you the most? How did it impact you and why?
I would Kira’s performance in that play was the one that impacted me the most. From the moment she came into sight, you could feel her sadness and desperation. You could tell that she didn’t want to admit that her life had come down to sleeping against a building, under a pile of newspapers simply by her hesitant walk over to Jayson and her multiple pauses and looks to the sky. Also, the fact that she pulled out a real toothbrush and toothpaste and began brushing her teeth right there was the biggest indication that she was new to this life and was still reluctant to let go of all she once had.

3. Consider the technique of the performer named in #2. Name and discuss a strength in their acting technique that supported their performance.
Kira is really strong when it comes to subtly showing emotion, but still laying it all out on the table for everyone to see. Slightly hidden by her hood, you could still see her distress in her eyes and in her walk. So much of her movement, in fact, conveyed reluctance. I found her choice in wearing a hood also signified her reluctance to show the world who she was and what she had become. Every decision she made in movement and attire aided her performance so much that she physically conveyed the story so well; I don’t believe we even needed to hear them speak.

4. Consider each member of your blog group. For each member, name their "best" performance moment (experienced by you) and briefly discuss what they were doing in terms of technique that allowed that moment to be effective acting.
Jeremy – I would say Jeremy’s best performance moment was the instance when he and Sarah collapsed in “9-11”. Having worked on that play and knowing the thought process of that part, his collapse was a simple choice that held much meaning, and was quite symbolic and moving.
Tom – I think Tom’s strongest moment was during “Intermission” when we all had seven minutes to do whatever we wanted. I could tell that he was fully committed to his character and held it all the way through, even though it was quite a long period of downtime during which he could have lost his momentum.
Stacey – I absolutely loved Stacey’s role in “7-11”. She has a way with facial expressions and pulling off simple lines in a hilarious manner. She looked so excited and happy the second time we broke out in our sounds that we all had to try and divert our eyes from coming in contact with her face because she was just being so goofy and funny.
Laura Y. – Laura has a knack for the adorable. She was funny when she came out of the bushes during her first constant and then proceeded to pull on her footie pajamas while getting cozy on the bench. She looked so comfortable and truly in character because, from her happy facial expression, she appeared really at ease and at home on the bench.

5. Consider each member of your blog group. Imagine that you've been hired to shore up their most apparent weakness, unanswered challenge or missed opportunity. Name it and make the most helpful suggestion you can to aid them.
Jeremy – Jeremy has a tendency to do everything in a comedic way because that is what he excels at. However, I think he had a real chance to be very serious during “9-11,” but I feel that it did not show until the end. His voice always fell below Sarah’s, so I think next time he is in a situation such as that, he needs to invest as much emotion as possible because I believe he can project his voice and feelings further.
For the other three, the only weakness I can conjure up falls along the same lines as my suggestion for Jeremy – they need to project a bit more. I found all of them turning their backs to the audience at times, which allows their scene partners to hear them fine, but it’s not very conducive to having others hear them. Next time, I think the best idea would be to cheat out a little more when saying a line so that way everyone can hear what is being said.

No comments: