1. I think the play that impacted me the most was Kira and Jayson’s play in the quad. It made me happy to watch Jayson happily sitting there looking around incredulously at the world, eating his chips. It was such a simple activity but it drew me in and held my attention fully. I fully believed that he could have been sitting there for a year, and that Kira is just totally exasperated by him. I loved their use of duration. I kept wondering when someone was going to come out and every time I thought someone was coming, another few minutes would pass. This just added to the intrigue. Overall I thought it was a very engaging and entertaining performance.
2. Sarah Gatti’s performance of a tower repeating “nein” impacted me the most, because I felt drawn towards her despite the other activity. This is not because she was overpowering the scene, but because she embodied the emotion so well. Her voice was well controlled, and increased in volume and intensity when necessary, and her facial expression and body language exemplified the arc of the story. Watching her made me feel anxious and uneasy, which to me, means she was successful in portraying her character.
3. A strength Gatti has is her ability to strongly connect to the audience no matter how large or small her role is in a scene. Her eye contact with the audience is great and her energy pulls you into the performance. She is always fully present throughout the duration of her scene and she is able to embody strong, as well as subtle, emotions with ease.
4. Consider each member of your blog group. For each member, name their "best" performance moment (experienced by you) and briefly discuss what they were doing in terms of technique that allowed that moment to be effective acting.
Anna- I really enjoyed Anna in 7-11, when we all watched the scene with her and Carolyn. Specifically what stands out to me is the way she says her last line “don’t you try to make a fool out of me” with such love. It was funny because it poked fun at the situation without distracting the audience or losing the actual love in it.
Laura- I loved that Laura pulled out footie pajamas and slowly puts on slippers and a fuzzy bathrobe. It was very endearing and humorous despite the situation they were in. I saw he character as the somewhat crazy, but harmless, bag lady you occasionally see who is just entirely ok with herself and her situation. I think she was fully committed to her character and that is what made it work.
Jeremy- I thought Jeremy did a great job as a tower in 9-11. His vocal, breathing, and physical work helped sustain the consistent ‘nein”s that his character had to do throughout the entirety of the performance. He and Gatti were synched up in intensity and duration and it really added to the performance
Tom- I liked your portrayal of the role in Sin Collector. Even though you sat still for the majority of the performance, i still think you were engaging. And your interaction with laura was very believable due to your reactions. I think you were very focused on your tasks and that showed through and created a dynamic performance
5. Consider each member of your blog group. Imagine that you've been hired to shore up their most apparent weakness, unanswered challenge or missed opportunity. Name it and make the most helpful suggestion you can to aid them.
Anna- The main thing that I think you really need to focus on is your vocal support. You naturally have a rather small voice and it was very hard to hear you at points. Your performances are otherwise successful, but we all lose a little bit when we cannot hear you deliver your lines.
Laura- I really liked seeing you get annoyed in the play with Allison, because you did it well, and I feel like you often portray characters that are a bit dreamy or happy-go-lucky. I would like to see you in more serious roles because I think you would really be successful in them.
Jeremy- I agree with some of the previous comments. You do tend to go the funny route, which I think is great, but it would be interesting to see you do a serious role as well. Often your characters call for a sense of humor, so I don’t know if that’s really a weakness or not…but I would still like to see you portray a dramatic role.
Tom- I think you have great timing with your delivery, I would suggest that you also focus a little more on your vocals. I think you slip in and out of it sometimes, but if you could keep up a consistently strong voice I think your performances would be even better.
Monday, November 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment