Thursday, October 25, 2007

Friday's class

Friday's class was a new way of approaching things, as Jon pointed out, and for me some of it worked and some of it did not.
I actually really enjoyed the time we spent embodying certain images like fire, snow, or cold syrup. At this point I was surprised how focused i was, and i found myslef just constantly visualizing that image in my mind while i let it control my actions. I thought that that was a good way of finding a physical movement to match and enhance your character's tasks and objectives. Like when we used the stick to focus our motions and kinesthetic response. What i found slightly odd is that after we switched partners, our stick kept falling. Perhaps it's becuase i have worked with one of them more than the other, but there was a big difference in the success rate of this excersize after i switched. I wouldl ike to figure out why exactly this is and how i can correct it, so that is something i am going to work on. I guess that would be just trying to find a connection with everyone equally and be able to build on that.

While the above was successful, i actually did not find the warmup helpful. I am not an easily self motivated person unless it is something i feel terribly strongly about, so in performing a warmup I need some sort of direction to focus me. And perhaps that is something i can work on, but i really do not think it is something that will change, as it hasn't yet in life.

Aside from that, i really thought that trying to apply my thoughts to my warmup was very detrimental to me. Perhaps it worked well for others. However, I am a fairly negative person, and when i allow myself to start thinking about things when i am trying to focus on something else, most of the time i will get very distracted and get pulled totally away from what i am doing. In order for me to do something successfully i need to ignore the thoughts that race through my mind and concentrate entirely at the task at hand. I am not good at leaving things at the door, but it is much worse if i try to employ them in what i am trying to accomplish. That is just not something that works for me. As this class has progessed i have gotten better at pushing things out of my mind and trying to only think of the excersize or the scene i am doing. By bringing all of these thoughts to the surface at the beginning of class, it undermines the goals i have been trying to accomplish. Again, this could very well just apply to me, but i will have to find another thing to do if we continue to do the individual warmups, and it will be a challenge that i will have to work on.

No comments: