I enjoyed discussing Ravenous in class, and being able to hear some of the directors/actors original ideas and how they went about implementing them. Since it was a different kind of show than most i have seen, there were a few bits in which i got lost, though i understood the majority of it. Having the discussion cleared up some confusion for some people, and brought back memories of the play that i could replay in my mind. As i stated in class, i was a bit irked about the anachronism of Jane dying in childbirth and Eddie verbally mourning her at the funeral. I assumed this was an artistic choice, where they decided to go for the emotion from the scene insteasd of following the literal timeline. I understand this, and it was a moving moment, i just had trouble getting into because it was not believable for me. In any other situation i would have just stayed frustrated with this, but having the ability to discuss it with the actors allowed me to ignore this fact a bit and look back on the scene as an example of great acting.
Another thing that clearly paralelled between class and the production was the use of the Viewpoints. While doing Viewpoints in PPL, I can understand how they can be translated into a performance , but it did not become truly clear to me until i saw Ravenous. Even though i was focusing on understanding and enjoying the play i found that i kept subconciously noticing viewpoints. Every time Jon did the wave of his hand while asking if we wouldn't mind entertaining a question, i thought of gesture and repetition. I noticed the spatial relationships between actors like when they were all lined up, or when 'uncle' was presenting a new 'niece'. As well as the use of architecture when the actors used the curtains so often. I also came to the conclusion that it seems Viewpoints must be done barefoot. I wonder if this is true or if this is just a choice that the Ravenous actors made. If it's something that just goes along with training, then i wonder why this is so. I am not sure if the method would be any different with shoes... i suppose it would be a bit harder to be lighter on your feet, but what if you decided to use viewpoints and it is neccessary to the costume to have shoes? these are just the odd things i was thinking about during the show that i wondered about.
Next PPL i will try to remember more about the show and how to place the things i am learning into possible scenarios. That and i am going to continue to work on my astonishing physical weakness that becomes more and more apparent every time we do anything. hah. oops.
Monday, October 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment