As I mentioned in my actor reflection, I am a perfectionist. With the natural instinct to be a writer, I find comfort in the fact that I can re-read, go back and fix what doesn’t sound right… even if I’m never satisfied with the final product and wish I could keep improving what I do. And, as I mentioned in an earlier blog – the personal gift and gauntlet entry – I threw in the notion that, if given a chance, I may be able to showcase a much more comical side of myself.
So what did I decide to do that would throw both these ideas into the fire and leave me standing outside my comfort zone? Your Mom Does Improv!
Yes, that’s right. I decided to embrace my funny bones and throw my perfectionist tendencies to the wind and jump into something I’ve never, EVER done before! And I must say, the experience was the most fun time I’ve had in quite a while. For there is no going back and re-doing your skit – there’s hardly even time to prep yourself! And while it seems like it may be a painful sort of experience for an introvert like me, I realized that my openness to the situation is what kept me comfortable the entire evening.
At first, I was messing up some of the games we played before we dove into long and short form improv, but I did not feel embarrassed. Everything about improv is acceptance and helping each other out, that I think as I continue down this road, I may learn even more things about myself and how to interact with others. It is such a non-judgmental atmosphere, that one can let go of themselves and learn more about themselves and the world around them by letting the experiences play out naturally, instead of forcing things in life to happen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment